Getting persistent breakouts or acne around the mouth is a very common skin problem; you can blame many things for it!
These breakouts can look like tiny whiteheads or small bumps or even like giant cystic acne. Below I will be breaking down all the causes and some helpful tips and products you can use in your skincare routine to control these pesky pimples around your mouth.
SOME HABITS & TIPS:
- Check if you constantly have a habit of touching your face. Try not to rest your face on hands. If you have acne prone skin or sensitive skin, this habit can worsen your acne around the mouth, as our hands carry a lot of dust and bacteria.
- Secondly, you keep popping that pimple around the mouth, stop! Do not pop that pimple, it only leads to more breakouts and let’s not forget the pesky pigmentation that is left after popping a pimple!
- Lastly, keep a separate towel for your face, do rinse it in every 2 days and do not rub the towel on face, just dab it. This will also reduce the spread of bacteria from one spot to another spot on your face.
- Check if your face razor / trimmer / eye razor, whatever you are using to shave those peach fuzz/ hair around mouth is not blunt. Blunt or old razor can also cause breakouts. Change your razor on time.
- Check to ensure you’re not using a lipstick or lip liner or lip balm that’s expired and see if it’s clogging the skin around your lips. You never know, a bad lip product can also trigger breakouts from the unnoticeable lip lines to entire mouth area.
SKINCARE TO REDUCE ACNE AROUND THE MOUTH:
- Use acne controlling face wash for morning and night. My personal favourite is Cosrx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser. This has a low pH and has Betaine Salicylate, a salicylic acid derivative, to help reduce the breakouts.
- For your night routine, ditch the makeup wipes and cleansing water to remove makeup or sunscreen. Using wipes and cleansing water on a cotton pad can spread the acne due to the rubbing. Instead use a cleansing Balm. For acne concern, I really like the Banila Co Clean It Zero Original. Give it a shot, it will make a world of a difference. Additionally, balm cleansers ensure that your pores are clean from the inside, which again helps in reducing breakouts.
- Use the Cosrx AHA Whitehead Power Liquid once weekly, focusing on the skin around your mouth. Using a chemical exfoliator ensures that your pores don’t get clogged by dead skin cells and is eventually free from breakouts.
- Use a calming toner that’s rich in Centella. You can check out the Purito Centella Unscented Toner or the Isntree Aloe Soothing Toner.
TIP – for extra soothing care, drench a cotton pad in either of these toners, and keep these cotton pads on your mouth area for 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can also check out some soothing and acne treating serums like “Purito Centella Unscented Serum” or the “Somebymi AHA BHA PHA Miracle Serum”
- Next pick a moisturizer that is calming and doesn’t clog your pores. During summer & monsoon seasons, the following are really good options for various skin types:
- Cosrx Oil Free Lotion – All skin, except very oily skin.
- Etude House Soon Jung Moist Emulsion – Oily to Very oily skin.
- Etude House Soon Jung 5 Panthensoside Cica Balm – Normal to dry skin.
- Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Aqua Gel Cream – Combination to oily skin.
- Purito Centella Unscented Recovery Cream – All skin except oily skin.
- Purito Deep Sea Pure Water Cream – Combination skin.
- You can also try spot creams like Jumiso AC Cure Spot Cream for stubborn acne or for minor ones try out the COSRX Centella Blemish Cream.
CHECK YOUR DIET:
Acne around the mouth can be caused by any food, but some common culprits include dairy and high fat food like deep fried dishes, cheesy pizzas, that extra layer of butter and cheese in your sandwich, etc. So reducing the intake of such food will definitely reduce the breakouts around mouth.
So, the conclusion is that to prevent and treat acne around the mouth area, it’s necessary to maintain the hygiene of skin around the mouth, have a clean diet, use lot of calming products and prevent the clogging of pores around the mouth area.
Do you struggle with constant acne in the same spot? Read this blogpost to know how you can prevent it.
Have you tried any of these skincare tips or products to treat acne around the mouth area? Or do you have your favorite tips or skincare products for same? Do share them below.