Getting persistent acne or breakouts around the mouth is a very common skin problem; you can blame many things for it! These breakouts can look like a tiny whiteheads or a small bump or even like giant cystic acne. Below I will be breaking down all the cause and some helpful tips and products you can use in your skincare routine to control these pesky pimples around your mouth.
SOME HABITS& TIPS:
- Check if you constantly have a habit of touching your face. Try not to rest your face on hands. If you have acne prone skin or sensitive skin, this habit can worsen your acne around mouth, as our hands carry lot of dust and bacteria.
- Secondly, you keep popping that pimple around the mouth! Do not pop that pimple, it only leads to more breakouts and let’s not forget the pesky pigmentation that is left after popping a pimple!
- Lastly, keep a separate towel for your face, do rinse it in every 2 days and do not rub the towel on face, just dab it. This will also reduce the spread of bacteria from one spot to another spot on face.
- Check if your face razor / trimmer / eye razor, whatever you are using to shave those peach fuzz/ hair around mouth is not blunt. Blunt or old razor can also cause breakouts. Change your razor on time.
- Check if you are not using a lipstick or lip liner or lip balm that’s expired or if it’s not clogging the skin around your lips. You never know, a bad lip product can also trigger breakouts from the unnoticeable lip lines to entire mouth area.
SKINCARE TO REDUCE ACNE AROUND MOUTH:
- Use acne controlling face wash for morning and night. My personal favourite is Cosrx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser. This has a low pH and has the Betaine Salicylate, a salicylic acid derivative, to help reduce the breakouts.
- In night routine, ditch the makeup wipes and cleansing water to remove makeup or sunscreen; using wipes and cleansing water on cotton pad, can spread the acne due to rubbing action. Instead use a cleansing Balm. For acne concern, I really like the Banila Co Clean It Zero Original. Give it a shot; it will make a world difference. Additional Balm cleansers ensure that your pores are clean from inside, which again helps in reducing breakouts.
- Weekly once use the Cosrx AHA Whitehead Power Liquid, focusing on skin around your mouth. Using a chemical exfoliator ensures that your pores doesn’t get clogged by dead skin cells and eventually is free from breakouts.
- Use a calming toner that’s rich in Centella. You can check out the Purito Centella Unscented Toner or the Isntree Aloe Soothing Toner.
TIP – for extra soothing care, drench a cotton pad in either of these toners, and keep these cotton pads on your mouth area for 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can also check out some soothing and acne treating serums like “Purito Centella Unscented Serum” or the “Somebymi AHA BHA PHA Miracle Serum”
- Next pick a moisturizer that is calming and doesn’t clog your pores. During summer & monsoon time following are really good options for various skin types:
- Cosrx Oil Free Lotion – All skin, except very oily skin.
- Etude House Soon Jung Moist Emulsion – Oily to Very oily skin.
- Etude House Soon Jung 5 Panthensoside Cica Balm – Normal to dry skin.
- Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Aqua Gel Cream – Combination to oily skin.
- Purito Centella Unscented Recovery Cream – All skin except oily skin.
- Purito Deep Sea Pure Water Cream – Combination skin.
- You can also try spot creams like Jumiso AC Cure Spot Cream for stubborn acne or for minor ones try out the COSRX Centella Blemish Cream.
CHECK YOUR DIET:
Acne around the mouth can be caused by any food, but some common culprits include dairy, high fat food something like deep fried dishes, a cheesy pizza, that extra layer of butter and cheese in your sandwich, that yummy cakes, etc. So reducing the intake of such food will definitely reduce the breakouts around mouth.
So, the conclusion is that to prevent and treat acne around the mouth area, it’s necessary to maintain the hygiene of skin around the mouth, have clean diet, use lot of calming products and prevent the clogging of pores around the mouth area.
Have you tried any of these skincare tips or products to treat acne around the mouth area? Or do you have your favorite tips or skincare products for same? Do share them below.