Korean Skincare is all about innovation, and pimple patches are undoubtedly, one of the best skincare solutions for acne. Years back, only a few brands sold them, but now thankfully, we have myriad options. With more options, come better choices, but it can also create confusion. In today’s post, I am going to decode pimple patches, and will share everything you need to know – from types of pimple patches to how to use them the right way, skin suitability and many more.
WHAT ARE PIMPLE PATCHES?
Pimple patches are small pads made of hydrocolloid material. When applied on acne, they draw the watery liquid from the pus- filled acne and speeds up acne healing.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF ACNE PATCHES.
There are basically three types of acne patches:
Plain Pimple Patches
Plain pimple patches are made of plain hydrocolloid material. They conceal and dry up acne. These are the most common, easily available and super affordable.
Medicated Pimple Patches
Medicated pimple patches contain acne treating solution like tea tree extract, bija seed oil, salicylic acid, willow bark extract and madecassoside within the acne patch. They calm the acne, reduce redness around the acne, conceal and draws the gunk from acne.
Micro Needles Pimple Patches
They have self-dissolving micro needles on the inner side. These dissolving micro needles contain actives like Hyaluronic acid, salicylic acid, retinoid, etc., or have natural extracts like tea tree extract, Centella extract, madecassoside, to treat acne.
These needles penetrate stratum corneum (the outer layer of skin), and promote better delivery of these actives at a deeper level. In case, you are wondering if they are painful, they are definitely not. At first, you may feel a gentle poking sensation, and then you feel nothing at all. This type of acne patches calm acne, reduce redness around it and have a good active delivery system. Also, these needle patches are not easily available and are bit costlier than former ones.
WHAT TYPE OF ACNE SHOULD USE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ACNE PATCH?
- Plain pimple patches – best suited for pustules (the acne that has puss surfaced), whiteheads and extracted pimple.
- Medicated pimple patches – Work best on small papules, all size pustules, whiteheads and extracted pimple.
- Micro needles pimple patch – Best for papules and cystic acne.
Here’s a quick video on Pimple Patches:
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PIMPLE PATCHES?
Pimple patches are best acne product ever made and here is why:
- Dries up acne and promotes quicker recovery of skin at the spot.
- Protect the acne from bacteria invasion, dust, UV rays, potentially irritating skincare products and acne picking fingers.
- Acne that’s concealed with pimple patch doesn’t develop severe pigmentation, and such PIH or PIE fade faster with brightening products. So, the pimple patches not only heal acne faster but, also work like an amazing pigmentation preventive product.
BEST ACNE-FIGHTING INGREDIENTS TO LOOK FOR IN PIMPLE PATCHES
Some Pimple patches may contain acne fighting ingredients. Look out for Salicylic acid, willow bark extract, Centella Asiatica extract, madecassoside and tea tree extract.
SKIN TYPES THAT CAN BENEFIT FROM PIMPLE PATCHES
All skin types that deal with acne can use Pimple Patches, but if your skin is sensitive to adhesive tapes or friction, you may want to avoid them.
HOW TO USE A PIMPLE PATCHES
Make sure that your hands are clean and dry. Open pimple patch pack and take out a single pimple patch and apply on clean & dry skin.
WHERE DO PIMPLE PATCHES FIT INTO MY SKINCARE ROUTINE?
- Right after cleansing, pat dry your face, use your weekly chemical exfoliator, let it sink in completely, then apply the pimple patch and follow it up with toner, essence, serum, eye cream and the moisturiser. If you are using pimple patch during the day, remember to use the sunscreen. This method of usage can some time cause the peeling of patch or various product solution may seep into the patch making the pimple patch less effective.
- To avoid this problem, I prefer using the Pimple patch as my last step of skincare routine. Once I am done with my skincare products, I take a clean damp cloth or damp cotton bud or tissue, swipe it gently over and around the acne, pat that area dry and then apply the pimple patch. This way pimple patch sticks & performs better.
- If you are using foundation, use it after the application of pimple patch.
BEST KOREAN PIMPLE PATCHES AVAILABLE IN INDIA
You can easily find the following Pimple Patches in India:
These are original pimple patches that paved the way for all the innovative acne patches that we see today and is still one of the best. A single pack contains 24 circular shaped pimple patches with 9 big sizes, 5 medium sizes and 10small sizes. They are plain hydrocolloid patches, have moderate thickness and are best suitable for night time.
These are thinner version of Pimple Master Patch. This is why, it is best suited for daytime, to protect the acne from foundation, dust, bacteria, picking habit, etc., and this pack comes with 18 medium sized uniformly circular shaped pimple patches.
These are oval shaped thin pimple patch, containing 26 patches of 3 different sizes, 9 pieces of small sizes, 9 medium sizes and 8 large sizes. This variant from Cosrx contains Centella Asiatica extract to soothe the acne spot, and this version is best suited for night-time usage.
These are Plain hydrocolloid patches. Each pack contains 18 pimple patches with 9 patches of medium size and remaining 9 of large size. They are thinner than the Cosrx Acne Pimple Master Patch (Red) but thicker than the Cosrx Clear Fit Master Patch (black). The best feature of pimple patch from Some By Mi is that they stick really well.
These are thin pimple patches, best suited for day time but you can use them at night as well. Each Pack contains 3 sheets, with 2 sheets carrying large size patches in 24 numbers and 1 sheet has very large size of pimple patches in 12 numbers. So, this particular pimple patch pack all together comes with 36 pieces of patches.
HOW LONG SHOULD YOU KEEP A SINGLE PIMPLE PATCH ON ACNE?
It can vary from brand to brand, but in general 8 to 12 hours application time is needed to see best results. Also, do not leave on pimple patch for more than 12 hours.
HOW TO CHECK IF PIMPLE PATCH IS WORKING OR NOT?
It’s very easy to see if the patches are working. If the translucent or transparent pimple patches turn milky-white, this means it’s working. In fact, you will see that the spot has bulged after 8 to 12 hours of application.
IS SINGLE PIMPLE PATCH SUFFICIENT FOR ACNE?
Yes and No. For tiny pimple, usually one patch is sufficient, but depending on size, depth and inflammation of acne, you may need more than one.
HOW TO STORE PIMPLE PATCH?
Keep the pack at room temperature, away from direct sunlight, moisture and air. Also, make sure that you seal the pack after every usage since bad storage can impair the sticking ability of pimple patch.
ANY EXPIRY DATE OF PIMPLE PATCH?
The shelf Life of Pimple Patch is usually 2-3 years.
REVIEW ON COSRX PIMPLE PATCH
Whenever I use the Cosrx Pimple Patches on my pustules and extracted acne at night, next morning I see the acne flattened and the gunk completely extracted. Sometimes, one pimple patch is sufficient, but for bigger pustules, I do need 2-3 applications of pimple patches.
Instead of squeezing and abruptly popping your pimple, put on a pimple patch and save your skin from deep scars and pigmentation formation. These are affordable, easily available and effective. When it comes to healthy skincare, prevention is the key.
What is your favourite pimple patch? Have you ever used one before? Do comment below.
Want some tips for adult acne? Go here.