When Kanika, a 30 year old skin enthusiast, posted her stories on Instagram about her struggle with Cystic Acne, her before and after pictures and how K-beauty saved her skin, we had to reach out to her and ask her to share her story with our viewers. This is where she tells us her journey about her painful struggle with acne and how she dealt with it.
- Hi Kanika, tell us a little about your lifestyle/workspace. Please mention how often are you exposed to sun/air condition during the said period.
“I am working in my family business and the only sun exposure I get is when I’m travelling to the office which I usually do by my car. So my sun exposure for the day is usually about an hour!”
- What’s your skin type?
“I have Dry-combination and acne prone skin.”
- What are the skin issues/concerns you usually struggle with, if any?
“Dry flaky skin, cystic acne and blackheads and whiteheads with enlarged pores on cheeks”
- What was your diet like? Did you make any changes in your diet/lifestyle? How did you deal with your skin before you started K Beauty?
“After hitting with cystic acne almost 3-4 years back, I felt hopeless and wanted to end my life. Because the pain was too much to handle. Sometimes my acne bled while I was sleeping, and my acne wound would get stuck on the pillow case, so I had to pull it apart which led to more bleeding and pain.
My acne spread like wildfire all over my face and I was unable to find the reason. My mom asked me to check if it was because of any food allergy. I watched my diet and slowly realized that I was allergic to eggs, seafood, mango, ice creams and all kinds of nuts (almonds, cashew, pistachio, pine nuts, hazelnuts). I stopped eating all these foods, which stopped more acne popping on my face but what should I do with the one’s on my face!
Then I took some help from dermatologists and ended up taking steroids which just ruined my weight and health! I gained 10 kg with PCOD as a gift! All the hormonal part and food allergy control via steroids helped a bit, but the cheeks being red and some bumps here and there popping occasionally on my face was still a major concern. Even today if by any mistake I eat food which contains all my above mentioned food, I get those cystic acne back.
Now after messing up my body I didn’t want to rely on steroids back then. On my visit to Singapore for Exo’s concert I went to this duty free store where they had all Korean skincare and makeup. I wasn’t on SNS nor I had any faintest of idea that K-pop fandoms existed in India let alone skincare.
Being a K-drama addict, I knew K-beauty is something which can change your life and I knew about some of the brands like Innisfree, Skinfood etc. So I invested about ₹25000/- and got everything which I could understand like Skinfood Tomato Essence, Yuja Essence, Innisfree Green Tea Serum, and a zillion other stuff! Then I had found about Kim Joan, the famous K beauty blogger and started to understand k beauty in detail, which landed me with Cosrx! Cosrx changed my LIFE!”
- Which products did you use and how long did it take for you to see the changes in your skin?
“Cosrx Acne Pimple Master Patches are like blessings sent directly from heaven to land on my cystic acne! It took all the gunk out in like 7 -15 days, (my cystic acnes are huge like a chickpea sized, so depending on the size of my acne) and the cyst was gone for good. The only disappointment is that the big acne after using the acne patches leaves a dent on my skin like a pothole on the road. I’m still figuring out how to heal them.
Along with that I mix Innisfree Green Tea Serum and Cosrx snail 96 mucin power essence to calm the redness from the spot and heal the wound. After the acne patches usually a scab is developed on that area. Because my acne are huge, my skin takes time to heal (around 20-45 days) which is usually with the help of some vitamin essence/ serum with Cosrx snail 96 mucin power essence (Skinfood Tomato essence and Jumiso All day Vitamin brightening and balancing serum is my must go) to reduce the pigmentation. The pigmentation spots are usually gone in like 4-5 months.
And after that at the end to moisturize, I prefer Cosrx Advanced Snail 92 All in One Cream. My favourite go to sunscreen and moisturiser is the Klairs Soft Uv Essence and the Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin E mask! My sister loves using all Klairs products, as it suits her skin well”
- Any skincare product/step that you cannot do without?
“This is so tough! I guess it’s what your skin needs. My skin is very moody and I understood that all the steps are important in their own roles. I can’t say that this step is important/not important. From the first step of cleansing to the last step of moisturizing all helps in keeping our skin healthy.
One product that I can’t live without is Cosrx Acne Pimple Master Patches! I keep stocking them and even if only two packs are left, I start panicking. This product has changed my acne game all together and this is something I always loaded in my skincare stash!!! And thanks to Beauty Barn, I have never found this deal of Cosrx Acne Pimple Master Patches buy 4 get 1 free for Rs 1000-/ anywhere at such amazing rates!”
- Any skincare Tips that you would like to share with our readers on maintaining a healthy skin?
- Hydration is the key to keeping your skin healthy as it flushes all the toxins from our body!
- Skincare is as much necessary as feeding ourselves with food! We need to give love to our skin and not ignore what it demands.
- Sunscreen is a must. Sunscreen is the key to keep your skin protected from all the harsh environment changes and sun damages. It also reduces your pigmentation and scarring and redness! Keep lathering your sunscreen every 2 hours! Specially for weather like Delhi summers! Even for kids, after 6 months of age you can start protecting their skin with the help of sunscreen!!!”
Want to read more transformation stories like this one? Check this out.